Wednesday 8 June 2011

How it all started

Birth
Growth
Passion
Experience

I have been passionate about martial arts ever since I was a small boy watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
I mean think about it. Teenage, Mutant NINJAS that are turtles.

I always wanted to learn martial arts, especially because my best friend's brother would often try out his latest technique learned from Ninjitsu training on me... often with absolute fear and pain attached. On a quick side note I still flinch when I'm around him now 16 years down the track and he is scared to train with me!

From this conditioning I wanted to learn Ninjitsu, but in Christchurch at the time there was very limited options for training. So 8 years later I finally got the change to learn the war art of Bujinkan Ninjitsu.

I first trained under sensi Richard Leech. Richard was awesome. He taught me that having fun and doing everything slowly a key to the budo way. Beers after training was encouraged and it was a very painful yet fun learning enviroment. Sadly due to Bujinkan politics in Christchurch, Richard stopped teaching and he stuck to Judo. On the last class he awarded me my green belt (7th kyu).

A few of the class members continued training in a hall in St Albans.I continued to learn from there for a couple of years till I met sensi Andrew Nateman, who I continue to train with once or twice a year (typically at seminars).I put Ninjitsu on the back burner as I was busy with Polytec & work. 


Me with Shihan Natascha Morgan

My sister Ava wanted to get fit and since I was training to run a marathon I'd thought that I would give her a hand. She joined our local non for profit gym/training center Cricton Cobbers and I followed. They offered all sorts of training there: Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Hapkido, MMA/BJJ, Judo and TDK. This was all inclusive of my $7 per week joining fee! Sadly this training centre got destroyed during the 22 Februrary 2011   Christchurch Earthquake.


Im on the far left. This was a Saturday session for the fighters @ Cricton Cobbers


I thought I was pretty fit and MMA had caught my eye from people posting about it gpforums.co.nz. So I thought I'd try it out.


My first session showed me how when you think you are fit, you are rubbish compared to grapples and strikers. I was shaking after the 2 hour class, but I was hooked. 


MMA:
The brotherhood,
The emotion,
The bar that gets raised,

The addiction




Two fights in the ring (A class rules) with a record of 2-0-0, I'm looking forward to new submissions, strikes and a few more fights!


Osu!!!


-Keeley






First and last fight @ 65kgs. Round one submission: Triangle Choke



Second fight @ 70kgs. Round one submission: Rear Naked Choke

No comments:

Post a Comment