Tuesday 21 June 2011

Fight Night!!

As Bruce Buffer calls out.....

"IT'S TIME!!!"

My weekend was crazy.

My trainer runs a promotion called Cage Warrior Championship and last Saturday (18 June 2011) I helped out all I could with setup, pick ups, warm ups and cornering.

It all started on the Friday night after work I drove to the weigh ins for the Christchurch competitors. I got to Eastside Barbells Gym which is a badass heavy weights old school gym on St Asaph Street. Most guys were keen to jump on the scales and get onto resting and carb loading. Pretty much everyone made weight bar a kickboxer who slugged it out on the rowing machine to drop 0.5 kg in 1 hour, true dedication and spirit.

I then went home ate dinner and got dessert. I picked up three members from the club to take down to Timaru.

We arrived at 11pm and stayed there setting up the cage and stage till 2.30am. We were back there at 9am to finish setting up. After a few small pick up and drop off jobs I got told to gear up with Kieran who fought in the main event for some mock photos and a roll and shadow sparring session  for 10 mins.

Warming up

About to get started

GnP on the fence

Hip throw

Kieran's love of leg locks

Followed by an attempt at an Achilles lock from me (too high up)

After some relaxing I started to help coach our team members who hand their debut fights. I was so proud of our debut fighters as they really stepped up to the mark. Marc is only sixteen and fought a more experienced fighter and lost in the second round to a choke (which he went out cold). Jackson fought a larger opponent and gave it everything but also got choked out in the second round. Johnnie, one of our most experienced fighters took on a thai fight with 24hrs notice and won by decision. Al easily took fight of the night honors. A three round destruction of a man with an iron jaw. Kieran lost by a reverse triangle and armbar in the second round which was sad because Kieran was set to destroy his opponent with his killer striking, but here I come to the quote for this weekend as I was talking during the car ride down....

MMA is like chess, you can win with all your pieces on the board and just as easily lose by leaving a gap with one piece...

Train hard and be well. OSU!

Marc (right) and his opponent post fight (you gotta love MMA brother hood)

Jackson, Matiu, Kieran and me

Jackson still pumped post fight, he wanted RNC!

Round one! Al with leg kicks and a strong stand up game!

Alan and the crew post fight. We were amped!!

No comments:

Post a Comment